A Warning About Rental Scams:
Phony rental ads have popped up online with the sole purpose of stealing money from unsuspecting renters. One method this is done is by hijacking a legitimate listing, stealing photos and details of a property online and reposting them on another listing site. They may go so far as to use the identity of a legitimate real estate agent.
Signs that a rental listing is a scam:
- 1. Rent sounds to good to be true!
- 2. Photos do not match the address (example: too modern for the neighborhood)
- 3. "Owner/Landlord" lives elsewhere and prefers all correspondence by email
- 4. Claims to be renting the property for an absentee owner
- 5. Pressures you to wire transfer money (it is extremely difficult to recover funds sent by wire transfer)
- 6. May supply generic rental documents
We make every effort to protect the safety of our users. Rental Guide fully cooperates with law enforcement on illegal activity. Report any suspicious listings to RentalGuide.com.